Monday, October 28, 2013

Practices and Projects

Instead of posting one project per post, I gathered all of my practices and projects that I have created in here.

My first practice with the Italic hand using Steadtler Calligraph Duo Black.

In Maryanne's book, she guides you first by practicing  the hands with a no. 2 pencil. Since I did not buy any materials mentioned in the book, I make do with what I had. I always find it irritable that my handwriting is not good (and here I thought my handwriting was perfect!).

Carolingian hand using the green colored calligraph pen.
Gothic hand using Sheaffer Calligraphy Pens
This time I used the Sheaffer calligraphy pens I bought several weeks after I ordered my first calligraphy instructional book from Amazon. It writes nicely but will not produce the same results as those in the book. Still, it is  a good alternative for practicing.
Foundational hand using Sheaffer Calligraphy pens.

Uncial hands using Steadtler Calligraph Duo Violet.
This was my first project after practicing each hands in the book. The upper version was smeared because I erased the guidelines while the silver metallic ink was still wet.

Names of people in my circle in Google Plus.
I really love writing names ever since I learned how to write Italic during first grade. Whenever I have free time (or trying to make free time), I'd get some papers, slant them and write as fast as I can with the names I can remember. Writing names was also the reason I discovered calligraphy (refer to first post).  
More names in Italic hand.
The names in the previous picture are all gathered from different variations I did. The picture above, aside from Shizu-chan's name are names of the *Maiko-sans and Geiko-sans of Kyoto: Satsuki, Fukuho, Ichimomo, Umechika and Kimika. When I wrote Umechika's name, I kept repeating the U to get the kind of U that I want. The last one is  a trial for Stellar Camp's logo.

**Evening Star by Edgar Allan Poe on Carolingian hand


*You can find great collection of photos of the maikos and geikos of Kyoto through Flickr. I cannot post them here since the author of those photos stated not to share in other websites.
 **source: Edgar Allan Poe's Evening Star

No comments:

Post a Comment