Saturday, July 11, 2015

Playing With Gold

One of my favorite colors is gold. When it comes to jewelry, I prefer gold over silver. Some people find it 'old' to wear gold jewelry, but find it to my liking. Or maybe I just love something that shimmers (◕‿‿◕)

When I started to self-study calligraphy, I've always wanted to have something gold to write with. But the kind of gold compatible with my pen is scarce where I live. Good thing I just acquired one today~! I'm happy that I got to have my dream of writing with gold!

Finetec 6 Pearl Colors from Paper and Ink Arts through a friend
I'm still hoping for more gold, but I will settle with this for now. I have read reviews about this watercolor (yes, it says so in the package Watercolor Pan Set, 6 Pearl Colors) that it's the best for pointed pens, but no reviews with broad edge. So I made some experiments with it to see how well it will go with broad edge pens. 

Mixing gold with a few drops of distilled water
This pan is Tibet-Gold. I just used the same techniques I do when mixing water and gouache until I get the right consistency. I first experimented it on writing in pointed pen. It really is like they said it was - magic!
Some random name, but I think it belongs to someone famous.
Even with a little mix, you can write a lot with it. No wonder a lot of calligraphers out there love working with this gold watercolor. But I wanted to experiment it with broad edge. Here are my results:

1

2

3
(1) The consistency of the mixture was getting thick (it was starting to dry up), so I had a difficult time trying to get the 'ink' flow out of the nib. I diluted the mixture with a few drops of water to make the consistency thinner. The result is as you see in the second image(2). The gold seems to get 'faded' at the start and gathers at the end of the stroke. But still, I like the effect of it. The third image (3) is a comparison between a thick and a thin consistency. 

That's not where my experiment ends, though. I've also read some calligraphers love to mix inks, watercolors, pigments and gouaches altogether. I've thought I'd try doing something on my own, too, so I mixed gouaches with gold. 

White gouache and a little bit of gold

Brilliant red gouache mixed with gold (left: white and gold)

Red and Gold, two of my favorite colors.
It is not clear in the image, but the gold really shimmers beneath all that red! I'll try mixing gouaches with silver next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment